Apr 7, 2009

Oma's Base for (carrot) slaw


I was thinking to make a carrot slaw on Sunday so I emailed my mom to see if she could give me my grandmother's recipe since that's the only Carrot-slaw I've ever had and enjoy. I've searched for other recipes but they all call for raisins, too. And while I enjoy a raisin every so often, it's one of those foods I just do NOT like with anything else -- not in cookies, not in carrot salad, not in cake, etc. So if I was going to make the slaw, it was going to be my Oma's recipe, dammit.

She sent me back this:

The base of any of our (my) salad dressings: 2 Tablespoon vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon sugar, salt, pepper. Mix it up until sugar is dissolved. Add 1/2 small container sour cream. Mix until well blended. Shred a package of carrots, add the dressing and enjoy! You can use this for carrots, cucumbers (then you add dill), cole slaw.

I don't know why, but her reply made me smile and think, 'isn't she cute?'.

Anyway I thought I'd throw it in here so that it's easily accessible.

4/13/09 update: This can be made the night before and the next day it's great.

No comments: