I looked at a couple simple recipes (here and here) and kinda went from there.
- 2-3 cups stale French bread, torn into cubes
- 3-4 Tbs butter, melted
- 2 cups milk
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar*
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- cooking spray
- 8x8 pan
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Spray 8x8 pan and toss cubed stale bread in pan, covering entire pan.
- Drizzle melted butter atop bread.
- Mix remaining ingredients together well in separate bowl and pour atop bread, pressing down bread to ensure it all gets wet.
- Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes until bread bounces back up.
- Serve warm with coffee or milk.
I'm horrible at measuring stuff... especially stuff like teaspoons and tablespoons. Plus I like cinnamon and vanilla. So while I thought it had great flavor, my husband says it had an aftertaste he wasn't too fond of and blamed it on my lack of measuring and says I probably put in too much vanilla (personally I think it was too much nutmeg). It was still good though and we both enjoyed it.
*Next time, however, I will be cutting back on the sugar to 1/2 a cup because it was far too sweet for our tastes.