Apr 19, 2009

Bread Pudding

Last week when I made Schnitzeletta, I bought some French bread and never used it all. So this morning, I decided to put it to use and made some Bread Pudding. What a perfect morning to make Bread Pudding... we went from sunny and warm yesterday to rainy and dreary today. So what better way to bring a little warmth back into the place by baking some Bread Pudding!

I looked at a couple simple recipes (here and here) and kinda went from there.

  • 2-3 cups stale French bread, torn into cubes
  • 3-4 Tbs butter, melted
  • 2 cups milk
  • 3 eggs
  • 3/4 cup sugar*
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • cooking spray
  • 8x8 pan

  1. Preheat oven to 350.
  2. Spray 8x8 pan and toss cubed stale bread in pan, covering entire pan.
  3. Drizzle melted butter atop bread.
  4. Mix remaining ingredients together well in separate bowl and pour atop bread, pressing down bread to ensure it all gets wet.
  5. Place in preheated oven and bake for 45 minutes until bread bounces back up.
  6. Serve warm with coffee or milk.

Notes:
I'm horrible at measuring stuff... especially stuff like teaspoons and tablespoons. Plus I like cinnamon and vanilla. So while I thought it had great flavor, my husband says it had an aftertaste he wasn't too fond of and blamed it on my lack of measuring and says I probably put in too much vanilla (personally I think it was too much nutmeg). It was still good though and we both enjoyed it.

*Next time, however, I will be cutting back on the sugar to 1/2 a cup because it was far too sweet for our tastes.

No comments: