May 26, 2010

Crash Hot Potatoes - for hot weather

I love love love Crash Hot Potatoes. I love potatoes, period, but hot damn are those CHP's all kinds of awesome. So because I'm trying (really really hard) to cook more, I wanted to make these again... except it's been near 90 the past couple days and there's no way in hell I'm turning on the oven when it's that hot out. Sorry. Not gonna happen.

Then I remembered seeing an episode of Racheal Ray's 30 minute meals during my maternity leave (oh yeah, I had a baby end of December!!! HOLLA out to the cutest babe in the world!!) where she made a potato dish that ended up looking very much like CHP's except she did it all on the stove TOP in a pan! No oven turning on needed!

But. I can only really go online at work (did I mention I had a baby? yeah my time is hers when I'm not at work) and this computer is ridiculously slow and old so trying to find something on foodnetwork.com is just too much to put up with.

So I just went with this (below) and it turned out... FANTASTIC!! Wahoo!! : )

Hot Weather CHP's
(serves 2 hungry adults)
You'll need:
  • 8 each small red potatoes
  • extra virgin olive oil
  • seasonings of your choice
  • microwavable plate
  • microwave
  • skillet
  • stovetop

You'll do:
  • scrub/clean 8 small red potatoes
  • poke each tater with fork a couple times
  • place on microwavable plate and microwave on high for 5 minutes*
  • when tender (if fork easily goes through) but not too tender, press taters down (mashed potato thingie works great!)
  • heat skillet
  • while skillet is heating, drizzle olive oil on top of taters
  • season well with salt, pepper, thyme, basil, whatever you want/like!
  • add couple turns of olive oil to hot pan
  • gently add taters and cook for 5-10 minutes per side
  • remove when brown and crispy looking and ENJOY!
Quick, easy, and perfect to make when it's too hot out (and in) to turn on the oven. Even the husband liked them (again)! : )

No comments: